Orange Lodge march is in Southport today
- Formby Bubble
- Jul 11, 2015
- 2 min read

The Orange Lodge has released a statement about their annual march through Southport town centre today.
The parade, which takes place in July every year, commemorates the 1690 victory at the Battle of the Boyne by King William of Orange. But the parade has divided opinion in the town over the years. Some residents find the Orange Lodge anachronistic, and associate the event with litter, noise and drinking. However, some business owners point to the money that is spent in the town on the day.
Billy Owens , Provincial Master of Liverpool, recently said that the event had been trouble free for years. He said the Orange Lodge no longer used Princes Park, after Norman Wallace invited the organisers to congregate at Pleasureland. Mr Owens said that his members spent good money in the town's hotels on the day.

pic andrew teebay. 12th of july orange lodge parade leaves netherfield road south,everton,for southport. the imperial corp of drums band.
The Orange Lodge statement read: "Saturday the 11th July 2015 sees the Annual Orange Parades taking place in the city of Liverpool and Southport. This is to celebrate the 325th Anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne when King William III of Orange was victorious over his rival King James II at the River Boyne in July1690, which secured the Protestant ascendancy for generations.
"It was the last time two crowned kings of England, Scotland and Ireland faced each other on the battlefield.
"Various Orange parades will take place from all over Liverpool including Dingle ,Garston, Norris Green and Netherfield Road around 8am on Saturday morning. Also included is several visiting flute bands from Northern Ireland They will make their way to the City Centre and meet at St Georges Hall to board buses to Southport. Around 130 Orange lodges will take part accompanied by Pipe, Accordion, and Concertina and Flute bands. All playing traditional music. Children will be dressed as King William and his wife Mary.
"When the parade arrives in Southport, Liverpool members will be joined by members from all over England and some guests from Scotland and Northern Ireland to celebrate the day. Around 5000 people will be on the streets of Southport during the parade. This is always a carnival atmosphere. As well as the delegates from all over the world as the World Orange Council comes to a close.
"The parade will again proceed through the City of Liverpool around 6.30pm supported by huge crowds watching the parade; this is due to the parade taking place on a Saturday. The parade is always peaceful and enjoyable for all those who take part. There will be some traffic disruption during the morning and evening in the city centre.
"Also on the actual celebration day Sunday 12th July will see a morning parade working its way through into the City Centre to St Georges Hall for a service of celebration again huge crowds are expected as this is the actual day of the celebration of the Battle of the Boyne."

Story and Photo source: Southport Visiter