Changes to 44 Bus Route in Formby are devastating to some residents
- Formby Bubble
- Jun 24, 2015
- 2 min read

Formby councillors Tim Hale and Nina Killen with Eileen and Phil Morgan who rely on the 44 bus service to get to and from Southport Hospital
Formby councillors says the latest cut to a bus service in Formby is a cut too far.
The 44 bus service currently runs from Formby Library down Kirklake Road, St Luke’s Church Road and Bushbys Lane, then on to Southport & District General Hospital and Crossens.
But Arriva say they cannot keep the timetable on the current route and while not enough people are using the service in Formby it is busy in Southport.
As a result, from July 19 the service will skip Kirklake Road, St Luke’s Church Road and Bushbys Lane and instead go straight down King’s Road then on to Southport.
This is the second time the service has been reduced having previously been reduced from half-hourly to hourly.
Formby Labour councillor Nina Killen has been contacted by Formby residents who rely on the service.
Cllr Killen said: “The changes to the 44 bus service’s route will be really devastating for some people in Formby who regularly use the bus to get to and from the hospital in Southport. Some of these people have already raised the issue with me.
“One resident who lives on the stretch of the route which is due to be axed, says he drives at the moment but his wife, who is partially sighted, relies on the bus. He fears when he can’t drive any more they will struggle.
“The people who use the 44 need it most because they don’t have access to other transport which is why they use the bus.
“The 160 Formby circular goes down there but gets to Formby Library 50 minutes before the 44 leaves, so that is hardly a convenient connection.
“I have raised this issue with Merseytravel to see what action can be taken.
“This is a service that we need here in Formby. People rely on it. Surely a solution can be found. I don’t think it is acceptable to just cut the route.
"It leaves some of Formby’s elderly and less abled people cut off while the route in Southport which is served by lots of buses is maintained.

Formby councillors Tim Hale and Nina Killen with Eileen and Phil Morgan who rely on the 44 bus service to get to and from Southport Hospital
What do you think of the changes? Will this effect you? If so, please let us know.
Story and Photo Source: Southport Visiter